Monday, May 4, 2015

Under Covers

I don't think that I am alone when I say that covers, songs done by other artists than the originals, can be hit or miss. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground as if the cover is only OK, it certainly won't make much of an impression to the listener.

I won't spend any time on the poorly attempted. We all know there are a lot of those. For now, here are a couple that I think are pretty good.

The first is by a group from Brooklyn, which seems to be a place that anybody playing country outside of Nashville come from. This is a live cover of John Prine's best known song, "Angel  from Montgomery." If anybody knows who Lucky LaRue is, I'd like to know.



The second is from a great guitar player, another of they're so good nobody remembers them crowd. He played with David Cassidy, Poco and gave John Mellencamp a #1 song and album. If you haven't guessed as yet, he is best known for his collaborations with David Bowie and Ian Hunter.

In 1973, Mick Ronson was named the #2 Guitar Player by the readers of Creem Magazine, sitting between Page and Clapton. Here he is, ripping through "Hey, Grandma." I'm sure the Grapes don't mind a bit.



What are your suggestions for great covers? Send them to the comments section and we'll feature them in another "Covers" post

No comments:

Post a Comment